Sunday, July 27, 2014

Don't Discriminate! Love and Serve All!

"It’s not discrimination when we are prevented from doing the discriminating. It’s not persecution when we are prevented from doing the persecuting. It’s not bullying when we’re told that we can’t bully others."
                                                      Benjamin Corey 


It is a bad human trait I guess. We criticize others, we look down on others, we condemn others. That is, we do those things if they believe differently, look differently, or act differently. Well, at least I do. There is that measure of pride within me, maybe that ancient attitude of self protection, that makes me want to put down and look down on others so that I can look and feel better than they.


Somehow in life, I always make myself feel morally superior to others. After all, whatever sins I may commit are not as bad as the ones that another person commits. I really am in fact trying to protect a fragile image of myself through pride. It's always about being the best, or at least better than most others. When that false pride rears its ugly head, I feel better about myself and I hide behind that mask of pretense. In fact, I am simply another white washed gravestone with stinking bones inside.


The quote above is by a new favorite blogger of mine (you can find him on the Patheos channel). Benjamin was referring to Christian's reactions in regards to the President signing an anti-discrimination law in regards to the LGBT community for federal workers/agencies. There were Christians who spoke up and have claimed/will continue to claim that this is discrimination against them and that this is persecution - the persecution complex.


This post is not about whether the LGBT community is right/wrong, sinful or not. This is about me (and maybe you) and our attitudes towards those who are different from us. Years ago, I would have felt morally superior to this community, towards divorced people, towards gluttons, and towards drunkards, just to name a few groups! I felt that if I didn't do certain things then I was somehow better and was also in better standing with God. After all, how could not think better of me when compared to _________ (put whatever sin you want on that line - go ahead do it - what is the one thing that you would never do, you morally superior person - lol).


Now that I will be turning the AARP age of 50 this fall, God has shown me much in this area - namely that I am not superior in any way. I had an alcohol abuse problem for many years. I am divorced. I've been an obese glutton. And yet - God still loves me. He accepts me where I am at. He does not condemn me in any way. In light of that unconditional love, what do I do? I discriminate against others. I look down on them still because they are just not like me. I tell them that their "sin" is somehow worse than my own and I deny them rights in society that I already have, but they are not good enough for. Ouch. Kind of hypocritical on my part. I'm bullying that other person or group of people and then when someone steps in and says you can't do that, I cry out that I am being persecuted and bullied. I somehow fail to see that my actions are just as bad as any other and why should I deny someone else something when claim those things in spite of my actions?


Again, this post is not about the LGBT community. It is about me. What is my attitude towards others? Do I show love and do I treat each person with complete respect regardless of whether I think that their actions or thoughts are right or wrong? Do I treat others in the way that I would want to be treated? If the government denied me rights because I was a Jesus follower and not a Buddha follower - how would I feel? Discrimination is discrimination. Persecution is persecution. Bullying is bullying. They all cut the same - lack of love.


In my spiritual journey, I seek to love all, regardless of their perceived shortcomings in my own mind. 30 years ago, this would not have been true. Two commandments: Love God and love your neighbor as you would want to be loved if they considered you to have shortcomings.


Blessings,
David


PS: Here is the link to Benjamin's article if you are interested:    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/formerlyfundie/so-listen-its-not-religious-discrimination-just-because-you-cant-discriminate/

No comments:

Post a Comment