Saturday, August 23, 2014

Being a Peacemaker

Peacemaking has been on my heart this week. All around us, we are hearing of unrest. As a Jesus follower it is even more bothersome as I grapple with how to extend peace even when wrongs are being done. I've heard more about murders in the past week then I have in any time that I can recall.


Just think of the many headlines: young black men dying in several cities when they have encounters with law enforcement. People of many religions being killed and even beheaded in Iraq. An estimated 191,000 deaths in Syria. Afghanistan. Sudan. Darfur. Libya. Many Christians are up in arms thinking that the ALS bucket challenge is killing embryo's (it's not - do your research).


The facts are that murders are actually down in the US along with the abortion rate and so we can take comfort in this. However, I struggle with these things on a different level. I struggle with my response to these things. I even struggle putting this into words.


I admire the MLKs, Ghandis, Mother Teresas and Jimmy Carters of this world. Each of these individuals along with so many others have shown what it means to truly be a peacemaker.


Bringing it down to my level: I wonder how much better of a person I can be if only I would seek more to live at peace with each individual that crosses my path. How do I react if someone slanders me? How do I react when someone cuts me off in traffic? How do I react when I see others who are arguing?  Do I respond in peace towards anyone that might hurt me, family, friends or my country in any way? Do I hold grudges towards those that have done me wrong?


I'm not offering answers today. Just thought provoking questions for myself.  Peacemaking calls for restoration. Peacemaking calls for the lack of desire to destroy my enemies. Peacemaking calls me to show love, grace and mercy to every person regardless of what they have done.


Blessed or happy are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God. I am His child, but I want to be known as His child. To be known as His child I must practice peace with all people. Easier said than done.


Blessings
David

No comments:

Post a Comment